The house numbers. If you’ve been following along, you probably remember us talking about them before. It taken us months (literally) but we finally got some numbers on the house.
We purchased the alley side numbers online from Sears. We were coveting another style from another company but they were over $25 a number. We found similar ones at Sears for about $11 each. We used a gift card we’d been holding on to since the wedding.
We’re trying to figure out how to fill the holes under the zero. The first attempt at the zero was lopsided. The exterior of the house is HardiPanel, so we think some sort of filling agent is available.
The street side numbers weren’t as easy. Again, we found something online we liked but it seemed over priced. The stencil cost almost $40 which isn’t a lot except it’s for a plastic stencil. I had this brilliant idea to make our own stencil. I numbers up in 100 size font and glued them to a file folder. We cut the numbers out to make a stencil. I wish I had pictures of it but I think they got deleted.
After the first attempt, the numbers looked like this.
So, maybe spray paint wasn’t the best option. We originally used spray paint because we wanted something that would easily fill all the cracks and holes in the cement, and something that would dry fast. Um, it didn’t work and the red didn’t really stand out. It wasn’t bold enough.
With some painters tape and extra white exterior paint, I attempted to clean it up a bit.
Yeah, not quite right. I went back over it with a little red paint.
It still didn’t look right so I went back over one last time in white and red.
It’s not perfect, but it will do for now. All together, we didn’t spend anything for it (I mean look at it). We had all the paint on hand. We’re just one step away from being official – that final inspection pass just keep alluding us.