Every year I make New Year’s goals, not resolutions. I feel like resolutions are always things you have to give up or things that you do to feel good but you hate like exercising to lose weight. I make goals that I think are doable but challenging. Here’s my list for this year:
- Visit 3 new places. I always have this one and always check it off at the end of the year. It doesn’t have to be a foreign country or even another state – just somewhere new.
- Read 24 books. It used to be 12, then 15 and now 24. I go through phases where I read constantly and then I don’t.
- Stand one day a week. I can raise the level of my desk at work and I thought it would be good to stand for 90% of the day, one day a week. My calves aren’t as muscular as they once were and I thought this would be an easy way to correct it.
- Eat one new thing every month. Two Septembers ago, I decided that every week I would try a new food. it was very successful. I tried fiddle ferns and these little berries (size of grapes) that looked and tasted like kiwi. I think I also had cactus for the first time. It’s good in salsa.
- Make Micah a pie every month. Actually, this one was one of Micah’s Christmas presents. He loves pie.
- 6 hours of exercise a week. I’ll need it if I am going to be baking a pie monthly. Actually, this one is partly about getting healthy and partly about feeling good. I was working out pretty regularly through the first 7 months of 2010 and was feeling really good (emotionally). Then I stopped for whatever reason and always felt stressed out and generally pretty melancholy. I think I needed the endorphins. Plus my knees need strengthening again.
- Craft one thing a month. This is going to happen. A new table runner is my craft for January.
- This could belong below, but it’s one of my goals to spend as much time in the Pacific Northwest as possible. I feel like I’ve missed the last 3 or 4 summers traveling.
- Buy only what I’ll wear and keep only what I can fit into even if it means paying for return shipping. I think I have more clothes I can’t fit into (too small or too big) than clothes I can actually wear. This is changing this year. This goes for shoes too.
This year we decided on a few “WE” goals. I’m actually pretty excited about this
- Spend more time with family. We didn’t see Micah’s brother and his family at all in 2010 and I missed his parents’ visit to Seattle in March, so I only saw them at Christmas. We already have plans to see his family in March and I’m visiting my sister in a few weeks.
- Do one outdoor activity together a month. Hiking, camping, sailing, kayaking or riding a bike all count. On New Year’s Day we went Snowshoeing. January is done already.
- One date night a month. We do things together all the time but never think of it as a date. It’s a movie or food in between running errands.
- Go camping at least 3 times this year. We only went once at the very end of the summer and it was a little cold. We want to go camping and be warm!
- One new recipe a week. Our dinners need spicing up. I feel like we fall into a rotation of dinners.
- Finish 3 major projects. My picks would be the master bathroom, the door/entry area and at least one of the guest rooms.
- Hang art on the walls. Some of our walls are naked and need some accessories. If we could get 2 things hung on the walls in the hall upstairs, we’d be really happy.
- Set up an emergency kit. We sort or had one and then took it apart when we moved and never put it back together. This includes stuff for Izzy, contact numbers, copies of important documents and fire escape plan.
- Play the stock market. We have all sorts of investments (401K, retirement plans, IRAs, Mutual Finds) but no stocks we’ve purchased ourselves. Even if we’re just buying a couple shares – it’s the process and research we want to learn.
- Go on a big vacation together. Guatemala is in the works and we’re both really excited about it.
- Take more pictures particularly with us in them while we’re on vacation. We’re really bad at this but we just got a gorilla pod and think that will help.
Micah’s made some goals but I don’t know what they are yet. What resolutions or goals have you made for 2011?