Wow, it’s been 5 months since we ( I ) blogged anything. Honestly, it’s been a crazy year that has run me ragged. I mentioned in a previous post that I joined a few new projects at work. They have kicked my ass. I am learning so much and am genuinely interested in them but catching up has taken a lot of energy. Both project existed before I joined. At times I have doubted my decision to join these new projects – new disease area, new funding mechanisms, new team members with different styles than I am used to – but on the whole, I am glad I joined and didn’t bail when I things got tough. Already, I have learned new skills and the year isn’t even halfway over yet. My role on the malaria project I continue to work on has changed so much in the last 6 months. I went from administrative backstopping, staffing and personnel to actually contributing technical content. It sounds small but in my non-profit world, that’s huge jump. I am really excited about the opportunities but also worried about the new responsibilities. Actually being in charge of something is different than being a contributor.
On top of all that, I was asked to join a year long training/mentoring program in an area I have been dabbling in (monitoring and evaluation) for the last year. At first I mainly did it because the team leader on my two new projects really pushed it on me. I was interested but could have held out until next year. Now I am finding it so useful and actually enjoying it. Shhh, that’s a secret. If he finds out, he will never let me live it down. And strangely, I am enjoying and really learning from the mentor relationship. I feel really lucky to have two people at work really vested and interested in my growth and career. That said, all these new opportunities, along with the travel, has had me running to play catch up since the beginning of the year.
I was looking through our/my goals for 2013 and thought give a progress report on how it’s going.
1. Snowshoe, snowshoe, hike, hike – Um yeah, we tried. We went snowshoeing once and hiking about 3 times. I honestly have been on the road 7 weeks already (not including personal trips) and am on my 3rd day of a 5-6 weeks trip. We do have plans to get in as many hikes as we can before August.
2. Save, Save, Save – Again, we haven’t sat down to sort out his 401K. I think that needs to be a priority when I get home.
3. Eat at the table – HA! Actually, this is my fault. The table has been covered in articles I need to read for months.
4. More Family Time – Well, we did get down to ABQ to see the nephews and we have been spending a lot of time with my sister and brother-in-law. Micah’s parents will be back in the area this summer and I bet we see a lot of them too.
5. Go to more shows – Um, yeah. We tried but there is this long story about how we missed a concert because of a bad VRBO experience. One day I will share. I doubt we get to any shows before fall.
Verdict? Not great. Luckily, the year isn’t over yet.
1. Unsubscribe – I have been really good at this. Yes, I am proud of myself.
2. Power Down – I was really doing well with this until I return from my last trip around Easter. I am hoping I pull it together on this trip and get back to powering down an hour before bed.
3. Organizing myself online – I have started cleaning up my Pinterest boards. One of my goals this trip is to go through my Fitness board and maybe subdivide it. I want a board that is just exercises that can be done on the road. By that I mean no weights, no machines and no balance ball. I also want to delete the ones that don’t help or I will never do. Stay tuned for that. Also, I am still loving iAnnotate. I brought 20 articles to read and didn’t print a single one out.
4. Homemade – I haven’t done this yet. Micah’s birthday is coming up and I will start there. I have some ideas.
5. A pin a month – I have done this and more! I’ll try to post on some of my pinning successes.
6. Swim, Swim, Swim – I wish. I got really sick at the end of my last trip and am only starting to get over it. I am hoping I can hop back into the pool when I am back.
7. Vitamins and water – I have been doing really well on this. Better at the vitamins than water unless I am on the road. I will admit, that being sick has a lot to do with taking my vitamins regularly.
8. Learning a little Amharic – I looked for resources at the library before I left but didn’t find anything. I am hoping I can find some resources in Addis
9. Read 24 books – I’ve read 5 this year and am currently halfway through my 6th. I also have 3 paperbacks I want to get through during this trip. I’m a little behind but I bet I catch up by the time I get home.
10. Visit 3 new places – I did go to Bahir Dar in Ethiopia earlier this year. I didn’t see much beyond the training center, but I should be headed back there in the next few weeks. I may also go to Uganda this trip. That will be new. We have Peru on the books for sure.
Verdict? Not too bad. I definitely need to work on a few items but I don’t think I am too far behind.
Have you been able to stick to your resolutions or goals for 2013?
I hope to work on a couple posts this weekend which means a week of regular posts starting Monday. Have a wondering weekend everyone!